About the programme
- Solo performance on chosen instrument or voice
- Keyboard skills (for non pianists)
- Choral singing
- Ensemble performance – Junior Strings, Junior Concert Band, Junior Jazz Band, Junior Choir, Junior Guitars
- Chamber Music
- An extensive range of co-curricular ensembles
- Musical Knowledge
- Aural Skills
- Chamber Music is a compulsory part of the SMP from Year 10 for instrumentalists, and vocalists as appropriate. Students may be asked to participate when they are in Year 9 if an appropriate group is available.
- Students involved in a BHS chamber group are not permitted to be part of any other external chamber group (either competing or non-competing).
- Students in the Programme are required to pay SMP fees in addition to normal school fees.
- Students in the Programme are required to continue learning their main instrument at their own expense and from a teacher approved by the Board of Studies. (Please contact the HOD Music, Burnside High School, if you require advice on this).
- Students must play a full part in the various musical activities of the Programme and School Music Department, both within school time and outside school hours in co-curricular activities. SMP students are expected to be a member of one large ensemble, such as Orchestra, Big Band, Bel Canto, Malestrom or Aurora Voices. Chamber Music becomes a compulsory part of the SMP from Year 10 for instrumentalists and vocalists as appropriate.
- Students are expected to keep up to date with their class school work and associated homework in all subjects.
- Students admitted to the SMP must remain in and complete the programme to at least the end of Year 12. Advancement in successive years is dependent upon on-going satisfactory progress. The SMP tutors liaise closely with the HOD Music to ensure any concerns about student progress are identified as early as possible.
- SMP Students must choose to study Music as a curriculum subject for as long as they remain in the programme.
- Bel Canto (Senior female voices)
- Malestrom (Broken male voices)
- Senior Chorale (Senior SATB)
- Aurora Voices (Junior treble voices)
- Voices Rechoired (Senior contemporary SAB)
- Big Band
- Chamber Music
- Percussion Ensemble
- Symphonic Band